Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The largest buzzkill EVER!

I wrote this on a popcorn bag and and paper towel. This was copied as I wrote it down, except for spell checks. Scroll down for the pictures.

Let me start out by saying I'm not home sick. I have spent probably 1/4 my conscious like away from my parents. What I'm experiencing, is summer sickness.

Let me explain my situation; it has been probably 3 or less weeks since school got out, I've barely spent time with my friends, haven't been able to work my summer job, and all around be a teen free from school. But what happens right as I'm about to start enjoying myself? I go tho college orientation where they act as if summer is already over and classes begin tomorrow. Be sure to show this writing because my people deserve to see my pain.

So my parents and I drive up on (check phone because I'm so out of it)...Sunday and stay over night at the same hotel we did last time we came up. Yes I've visited the college before, 3 times actually. I get here not knowing what to expect from this orientation. But hopefully something new and exciting right? Wrong. We start out my hearing about the honors college. Why? Because I'm a braniac and did well in high school. I heard the same things as I did from previous visits, while not being crammed like sardines like I did this time. After that boring review, next came college of engineering, my intended major. Second verse, same as the first. Then comes the big welcome. 3rd verse, same as the first, just slightly worse. Then we get separated from parents, and this is where the fun begins.

We then go on this 3 hour campus tour, very similar to the one I already took last summer, but far hotter. These were the thoughts in my mind. "Yes I know what that is." "Seen it." "I will forget where that is in 5 seconds, but I'll have a map next fall." One thing that wasn't covered in previous tours was the Rapunzel tower. Apparently every time a virgin graduates a brick falls from the top, and it's the oldest building here. Come graduation I will be looking for my brick, cause in the words of my mad as a hatter friend, "I'm a virgin and damn proud of it." Speaking of my tour guide (not really but she just came up and asked what I was doing) her school pride depressed me some. All of them were trying to get us pumped for school and teach us school songs. I find it hard to find school spirit when I haven't even been able to enjoy summer. I don't blame her, because I've had to try try to motivate unmotivated people, it's her job. But really, every chant was another Nial in my summer fun coffin. She tried to get us to come up with a creative chant based on our group #, BTW, it was 28. We tried "don't hate, appreciate and we're great." But through a misunderstanding, we came up with "28, cut the shit." It stuck.

Well nothing compares to the next event in terms of spirit crushing. After the tour, we went to see a student show, and while the writing, music, acting, and everything else was quite clever and funny, it broke my summer spirits COMPLETELY! The entire thing was about "how great college is, how you will meet new friends, and everything will change, especially you." Me change, ha. I don't change, I just amplify. Really, over the years I just got weirder and geekier. But what it seems like they were saying was "summer's over and school is back in. If you didn't enjoy your summer after high school, tough luck. Now forget your friends back home because when you back nothing will be the same and you guys will have nothing in common. But enjoy skype." I get that college socialization is meeting new friends, but I haven't been able to spend my summer with my friends and girlfriend. I can't wait to get back home to fun and friends. But I can't stress it enough, this isn't missing my loved ones, it's missing the fun of senior summer. Oh, I'm writing on a paper towel and popcorn bag because of lack of paper, and if I don't write this now, I will selectively forget by the time I'm home.
To be continued....
Day 2
Well it was really hot last night, even without a shirt and socks on. That cold shower when I first got back felt incredible. The fan didn't help much because the outlet is on the opposite side of the room and the cord is only so long. My idea for a cold washcloth helped in the beginning, but then became a hassle. Eventually I realized the windows could be opened and that helped bring the temperature down to a sleepable temp. I had to get packed up early because I had to go to the engineering complex for course sign up, and that's off main campus. Well being a guy, I didn't have a lot to pack up. Packed up, ate breakfast and got out to the buss stop. I then went over to the engineering complex, and got more speeches, but this time it was new stuff. Woohoo.

I then signed up for classes. That didn't take very long. Well after that we went to the train station, where I waited for the train for 3 hours. We got there 3 hours early for some reason, then the train was running 30 minutes late. Oh well. I took the train for the first time. It was like an airplane, only slower, no security check, more leg room, and I could use my phone. I didn't bring anything to do from home, so I got a head start on the summer reading assignment for the honors college. I was not expecting a reading assignment over the summer. I thought those were over with with once I got out of k-12 schooling. Oh well, the book is interesting enough. The book is All Other Nights by Dara Horn. Like I said, interesting enough to get through. The waiting for the train for 3 hours without having to worry about doing anything put me back into summer mode, because you can only hang out in a train station without having to worry about work during the summer.


Back Home
Well I've gotten back to my fun life of out of school. Why just today darkenedoptimist and I worked on the pinata for my graduation party and watched Ren n Stimpy and Flintstones while we waited for the paint to dry. There was a situation where the TV gave out. I spent about 15 minutes connecting and disconnecting all the cords that connect through the cable. I have 4 video game consoles connected through the cable on my TV, so I was trying to find the short in one of them, since when connected, I got zigzag snow and when disconnected I got random snow. DO found it funny to watch me fiddle around with it. Oh well, whatever makes her happy. Somehow having the powerstrip on caused the problem. Oh well.




No comments:

Post a Comment