Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I talk creation vs evolution for a documentary

Hey everyone. Today I did an interview for a documentary on the creationism vs evolution debate. While we're no strangers to speaking our opinion on matters similar to that, see catholiccontriversy, but this was the first time I've ever done it for a documentary.

This was quite an experience. First I got there, but didn't know which precise room, I was just told some studio in this one building. Well when I couldn't find the room, I went back to my room. Since I set up the appointment over facebook I decided to check to see if there was anything about it. My dorm and this building are on opposite sides of campus. It takes 15 minutes to walk cross campus. My appointment was 12:30, got there the first time with plenty of time. When I couldn't find the room I left and went back to my room. 15 minutes. Check, find room, and run across campus. That took 10 minutes. I'm about 25 minutes late. Turns out that it was better for the director creator.

I get there, sit down, and the bright studio lights shine on me. I got used to them quickly. I couldn't wear my vest because it reflects under light, and the yellow can screw up the color balance. Been a while since I did video production where I cared about how my video looks. Oh well, with no vest I'll probably be taken more seriously. As an Internet video producer, I'm quite used to looking directly into the camera. With those, you're talking directly to the viewer typically. Well in the world of professional video, that's only OK if you're doing like a nature show or something where you're talking to the audience. Since I wasn't speaking to the audience, I was supposed to look off camera. Hard habit to break since I do it whenever I make videos. I did it a couple of times so I was pulled back to looking off camera.

The interview was handled very well. Being interviewed for a documentary on a very political matter, I was a bit sceptical. It's for her honors thesis, so it's pretty safe to assume that there will be no BS. But then again Bowling for Columbine was an Oscar winner and that movie is full of BS. Based on my experience, I don't think there will be any BS. All the questions weren't weighted towards 1 view. There was 1 question about people saying there is no proof that god exists, but since my views are predominately creationist, and that I spoke strongly to that, that question was probably ask to see my mentality. Chances are there was probably  question about "where it all started" for pure evolutionists. My answer was "well what proof is there that god doesn't exist?" At the end of the interview I asked to not have my words twisted. She said she would never, and I said "OK, just want to be sure you won't go Michael Moore on me."

I am really interested to see how this turns out. I made references to some evolution vs creationism in pop culture, particularly futurama episode 9, season 6, a clockwork origin and the song you can't make a monkey out of me. She also said I bring up good points. This will be really cool. And here's some trivia, I was wearing my boy scout troop t-shirt during the interview. Because we aren't supposed to wear the boyscout logo when doing political stuff, it has to do with miss-representation, the logo will be blurred out. So if you're wondering, that's what that is. Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu-bye.

And to anyone who may jump to the conclusion that I'm a blind to the truth religious nut, you're wrong. I accept elements of both arguments and mix them to fill in the holes. Evolution explains the changing and similarities, and creationism explains where it started. If I get enough requests, or hate from closed minded evolutionists where the mere mention of intelligent design warrants "you're stupid"who don't read this section, I will explain my views with a catholiccontriversy post.

No comments:

Post a Comment