Thursday, December 1, 2011

Can you drop an egg without breaking it?

Hey everyone, my dorm put on this contest to drop an egg from the ceiling. We had to build a container to protect the egg. This wasn't the first time I've done something like this. I did it once before in 6th grade when we were learning about air resistance and in high school physics when we were learning about force equaling mass times acceleration. Though this time instead of doing it for a grade and having to do math and stuff, it was just for fun.

I'm an engineer and live in the engineer dorms. Get 20 engineers together, put them in groups, give them materials and an egg, and say "make it so I can drop the egg without breaking it." I would describe the design, but I took pictures, and a picture is worth a thousand words.


The cone holds the egg. The straws kept it rigid. The Popsicle stick base held the straws in place. There was cotton in the cone to add some padding to the eggs. The bag acted as a parachute.

Now for the moment of truth, how did we do? Here's a hind, you may want to study the parts and design. Yep, we won. Feel free to use my design, just come back and post a thank-you comment and let me know how you did. I want to help out my fellow scientists, but also want to know if I helped. First we dropped from the ceiling to the floor. We survived the first round, second, and third. The survivors all won a free piece of cold Digorno Pizza. After the ceiling, we went out to the parking garage and had it dropped from the top level onto the bottom. It's your average 4 story parking garage height wise. Probably 100 ft or something. Either way, it's quite a fall. Still survived.

Afterwards it was time to throw it out. I tried trowing it into a dumpster but failed. It hit the side and it broke. It wasn't thrown properly so it naturally broke. Oh well the contest was over. Good luck to you all, this has been pokematic, signing off and bu-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment