Friday, August 12, 2011

Rib-off the 13th day one

Woo-hoo, time for a long blog. Today was the first day of our neighborhood rib competition called the rib-off. Every year a bunch of neighbors have a friendly competition where we all cook ribs and have one person judge them. The winner chooses the judge for the next year and host it next year. It's just all in good fun. All the men like to heckle each other and give each other a hard time. But it's all in good fun. Basically it's a roast of everyone and their ribs. The easiest way to describe it is a frat party with a bunch of 40 to 50 year olds. It's all fun and neighborly friendship.

Now that the back story is over, time for the this year. Well last year my parents had to go to a wedding so my brother and I wanted to participate in our dad's place. We had to write a request to the founding fathers. They are the 4 men, and one 1 woman, who started it all and they have big egos with this. They make all the rules and have it all writen out. Well their ideology was probably "2 teenage boys are going up against us? We'll beat them easy, what do they know about rib cooking?" Here's the kicker, we won. We took them by surprise. They didn't like it, but were able to stomach it because that means heckling to my dad. I let him find a judge because everyone I know is either a minor, family, or Jewish. There's drinking with the judge, so can't have my minor friends. It's a pork competition so can't ask the Jewish people I know. And then the rules state that it can't be family of the winner, so can't do all the family I know. I don't know anyone that doesn't fall under that out of those categories. So it was up to my parents to find the judge.

Well we're hosting it. Well sort of. Our next door neighbors have these canopy tents set up in their driveway, and with the summer being so hot, we're cooking the ribs in our driveway and hosting the eating and visiting in the neighbors driveway. Tonight was the pre-party where all the neighbors gather and have pizza and reconnect. Some heckling goes on and it's fun. I had some heckling coming my way, but then I heckled back. It's not mean or anything, just some fun. They liked to rub it in my dad's face that "I" won, and not him. They gave me some heckling about how I wasn't going to win this year, but that's alright with me. Winning means hosting, and hosting means cleaning. I despise cleaning, especially for people who won't care and probably won't even notice. Well not much else for this because it was just the pre-party. More to come tomorrow. Be back tomorrow.

Read day 2 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment