Saturday, October 15, 2011

Last Friday Night (T.G.I.O.)

Hey everyone, yesterday was, well interesting. Up until about 7 pm, everything was normal. Had my classes, did some homework, and the like. Then things got really, shall I say interesting. As part of my honors college, I need to to go both cultural events and do community service. Yesterday I did both, but it didn't happen very smoothly. My cultural event was seeing this play called Blithe Spirit and my community service was doing this free rides back home for students. Well I'm supposed to do this refresher training before going to do the job, but the play wouldn't get out in time for me to go to it. I was going to cancel but I worked it out with my director in charge, or DIC as we refer to them, and I was to be picked up once the play got out since I've done it before. Well now for the details of the night.

I leave my room at 7:30 to give myself time to get the theater.  The best way to get anywhere from my dorm to most places on campus is to cut through this one building that is open almost all the time. I go through there all the time, and bear in mind, it's early Friday night on a college campus. It's not going to be closed since I have gone through there later than 8 on Mondays. Well I open the UNLOCKED door, and this alarm sounds. I naturally freak out at this loud alarm, and thankfully it stops after 15 seconds. But the way I freaked out was kind of funny, I hold the door open and kind of do a matrix lean back sort of thing. I saw someone else inside so I didn't start running. Well I cut through like I normally would and go to the theater.

Because I got my ticket through the honors college, and it wasn't at the theater that all the stuff for freshman orientation was at, so I got a bit lost. I went to the theater that I knew because I was told that it was close. Well I was told where to go, and went there. I thought I was going to be late because the ticket said 8pm and so did my watch. Luckily it didn't start on time, especially the way the play was presented. A full review can be read here. After the main play there was a cabalre show. I recognised some the performers from the show during fall welcome. They were really good and their little show was funny. Because I needed to wait to get picked up for my shift, I stayed around and watched the entire show. It kept me entertained while I waited. I also saw the cast from the play and got their autographs. I love being an autograph hound for small time plays. The actors are starting out, and this is probably a big self confidence boost. "Good job" and "I enjoyed it" can only go so far, autograph is almost like, professional. Not only that, it also makes my program look cool. Try it sometimes with a small production where the actors are likely go go meet the audience afterwards. Get them to sign by their bio or where ever you chose and trust me, it looks cool. Full cast autographs.

So now time for community service. It took my partner and I a little time to realize we were right next to each other since we never worked with each other before. That was kind of funny. Long story short, the night wasn't the best. Half of the rides we got canceled when we got there, and then we had some weirdos, but they weren't funny weirdos, just weird. One of the guys we're quite sure tricked us into taking him to a party. He didn't really know where he was going, the address that he told us to go to took us to a domino's pizza, and then when we got there, he didn't know what house was his. He said that the middle of the street was fine to drop him off. We give rides home, not to parties. Oh well. Well he did the service before so he knew the drill of no smoking, drinking, eating, and wear your seat belt. He also knew that we work on tips and some external funding. He didn't have any money but offered to tip us cigarettes. He also knew about the "quote collecting," so he gave us the quote of "I think you have something in your eye...oh wait that's just a sparkle." Weird.

There was also a car accident with one of our cars. It wasn't me, but I was the one who was sent to pick them up. I learned what happened from our guy. The car was totaled, and our guy got the ticket even though it wasn't his fault. He was driving within the speed limit in his lane, and this guy comes zooming by and side swipes him. He calmed age discrimination because he's a young college kid and the other guy was older and he said the cop wouldn't listen to his side. He's going to fight it, and I told him to play the age discrimination card because discrimination seems to always win. We drive Enterprise cars with insurance so we don't need to pay for the car. That set us back some because we ran the rest of the night with 1 less car. That sucked since we stop taking calls at 3 but complete all the requests in our cue. We had to run later because of that.

DIC

Now I got home and had Ramon. I was hungry. I made it, ate it, then passed out on the futon thinking I just blinked my eyes. I was watching George Lopez and after the blink I see that it's now family matters. Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu-bye.

Kuto's to you if you got the Katy Perry reference in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment