Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nastalgia with a cold drink

Hey everyone, I just had a pouch of nostalgia. At finals last semester, I got this care package thing from my church. There were snacks and a CapriSun. I used to have one every lunch when I was in elementary school. Lo and behold, it was the flavor I had every day. I wanted to save it for the right time. I was really thirsty right now, and I decided now was as good a time as any.

Before I drank it, all these fond memories of it's artificial greatness. Then came time to stick the straw in. Now for those of you who aren't familiar with CapriSuns, the straw doesn't go in the top or anything easy like that. It goes in on the side. When I was little, I was a master of putting the straw in properly. I did it right all those many years all those years ago, and I wasn't about to take the easy, just jam it in the top, way. I was going to do it right. Turns out CapriSun straw sticking is a skill that gets weak over time if it is not exercised. I think I fidgeted with it for a good minute before I got the straw in. When I was a kid I was like one of those old blood drawing nurse. Here's the patch, get the proper angle, and put the straw right in no issues. Now I was like anew nurse. "OK get the angle right, hmmm, here's how the straw goes in, up I guess not. I think I got it, up nope. How's it look on the other side? A little ding but nothing to terrible. Ah her we go, all in right." I can imagine 7 year old Pokematic, "just like a grown up, can't put it in right. Here I can do it." Oh well the straw was in and I was ready for memories.

I took my first suck, and over these many years, it still tastes the same. Wild cherry still has that weird flavor. The next suck, memories of the lunch room. Next, now I'm sitting at the white tables they had us sit at. And after that, I'm eating a lunchable. I took my last swig, and it's just like the old days.

The flavor is still the same. I started hating it near the end of my elementary days, and while it was a nice burst of nostalgia, still don't like the flavor. It was kind of weird with "I don't like it, but I like it at the same time." Now I'm getting that feeling of "I'm still really thirsty," same as all those years ago. Ahh memories of running around on the playground with the sugar rush but still thirsty.

Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu-bye. It'll probably be another 10 years before I have another CapriSun.

No comments:

Post a Comment