Monday, August 27, 2012

Let's go to Hardcore Pawn

Hey everyone, this is really cool. Ever watch Hardcore Pawn? For those of you who don't know, it's a TV show about a Pawn Shop in Detroit, similar to that of Pawn Stars but with more emphasis on the characters that come into the store, since it is Detroit and all. Well since I live in one of the suburbs of Detroit, and since I like the show, I decided to do a mapquest to see where it is. Low and behold, it's approximately 5 miles from my house. My brother and I decided we need to go there some time. Well today was that sometime.

Once we were ready, we went to American Jewelry and Loan. It's right at 8 mile and Greenfield, and is just a skip and a hop from our house. Knowing it was Detroit, we made sure we knew where we were going, since it gets bad FAST. Luckily they have a really big sign saying "here we are." I had to get over some lanes, but luck was on my side and I was able to get over easily. Even before we get into the shop I start seeing things I recognis3e from the show, like that intersection Les chased a guy out of that was buying Pawn tickets. We pull in, and I already recognise the outside from all the times people get thrown out. There was a police car outside but I didn't think much of it. Now I walk in.

We go in, and I see the lines and counters from the show. I'm doing my best to not start freaking out, because while that might get me on the show, I don't need that kind of publicity. Then I see the couches and furniture that people go crazy on in the show. This place is much smaller than the show lets on, like my local Salvation Army is larger, but still amazing. I go over to the electronics department hoping to maybe see Seth since that's his department, but no. I did have some employees ask if I needed assistance, so I told them not at the moment but I love your show so I decided to come check you guys out. I think they enjoy seeing fans. Humoring fans is all good PR, and since I live close, it's really good.

I look around some more, and then I see the big man himself, Les Gold. He was out taking pictures, but I missed him on this time out. I did however, see a guy with a TV camera. He was taking video for the bumps. You know, when they just get some footage of people looking at stuff before the crazies put on their show. Well my brother was filmed looking at stuff, so he might end up in a future episode. I also over hear the camera guy and some employee talking about if they got the arrest on camera, and they did. Sounds like I just missed the action. I think it was fine that I didn't because it would have sucked getting caught in cross fire.

Now for the really cool thing, I got to see Les work his magic and get a picture with him. Some one brought in this old tractor toy thing, like one where the kids ride on it while pedaling. I got to see him haggle, and they didn't make a deal. It was cool. After that, I asked for a picture. He said yes. Here it is.
 
Turns out he's a nice guy. He asked where I was from and I told him. He said "wow that is close." Since this was taken on my older digital camera, my brother called it a Dinosaur, but fumbled and called it a Dinothore. Les joked a little about that. It was really cool. We left soon after that. If I go back and buy something, I will ask for a full family picture, with him, Seth and Ashley. Since I wasn't buying something from him, I decided this was enough. So cool. If you're in the area, I recommend going to see them. Well this has been Pokemtic signing off and bu-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment